home  »  Places  »  Three Fountains Abbey

Three Fountains Abbey

According to the legend, after being decapitated, the head of the apostle Paul jumped three times, and is symbolically represented by three fountains (hence the name of the abbey). The abbey comprises three churches that were built on the place of his martyrdom. The church of SS. Vincenzo e Anastasio, founded by Onorio (625), is the biggest one of the three. The church of Santa Maria Scala Coeli is located on the place where, according to tradition, over ten thousand christian legionnaires supposedly endured martyrdom by the hand of Diocleziano. The San Paolo alle Tre Fontane church dates back to C.V but was completely modified in1599. The interior includes the three fountains miracolously gushed out and, on the pavement, a polychrome Roman mosaic with the four seasons (coming from Ostia). Great attention should be given to the Grotta delle Tre Fontane, nowadays a sanctuary highly attended by pilgrims, where the Virgin appeared on the 12th of April 1947.

More information:
Sito turismo Roma
Sito web Abbazia

contact us

* required fields